Log rotation?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Log rotation?
Date: 2001-09-05 01:12:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

With all the great work put into allowing true 24/7 operation, as
distributed we're still unable to rotate the log file. While the log file
tends to be smaller than the database system as a whole, this is still
going to annoy people because they can't control disk usage without taking
the server down.

I've been playing with a little program I wrote whose sole purpose is to
write its stdin to a file and close and reopen that file when it receives
a signal. I figured this could work well when integrated transparently
into pg_ctl.

So, is log rotation a concern? Is this a reasonable solution? Other
ideas?

(No Grand Unified Logging Solutions please. And no, "use syslog" doesn't
count.)

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter