Can the backend return more than one error message per PQexec?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Can the backend return more than one error message per PQexec?
Date: 2001-06-05 19:50:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In PQexec() and also in parseInput() (both fe-exec.c) there is a provision
for, if more than one result set is returned, to concatenate the error
messages (while only returning the last result set). My question is how a
backend can return more than one error message per query string? The
description of the protocol indicates that an ErrorResponse will either
cause a connection close or the end of a query cycle.

I am currently looking into extending the protocol so that more fields can
be in an ErrorResponse (e.g., error codes). If this were to happen then
we'd need a smarter way of handling more than one error message per cycle.
However, I'd rather avoid that case in the first place.

--
Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter