Re: Reference manual

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reference manual
Date: 2001-02-09 19:20:52
Lists: pgsql-docs

Vince Vielhaber writes:

> > I don't see a difference in content between
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/#7.0
> >
> > and
> >
> > http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/postgres/
> >
> > (apart from the links to other formats, of course). So could you
> > elaborate on your concerns?
>
> Tom already did part of it.. it looks like hell (to paraphrase) and is
> somewhat content free.

But you don't claim that the listing at

http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/#7.0

has any additional content whatsoever, do you?

> The previous index in the integrated doc was much more useful than
> this.

Possibly, although I found it way too long. There were other,
maintainance related reasons for the change too. But the look can always
be changed.

> Also is the overall size of the integrated
> version vs the individual parts (for the non-html renditions).

Nobody was talking about the non-html renditions.

> This new index also doesn't match the website, it's like you left and
> went elsewhere

True, but that is not a fault of the new vs. the old docs. And it can be
fixed. If you can give me some sort of include files to stick at the top
and bottom of each page, we can have the web site docs have the same side
bar and colors and everything.

> - and NO we're NOT putting it in frames.

We better don't. ;-)