In-tree layout of built docs

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: In-tree layout of built docs
Date: 2000-12-21 19:55:25
Lists: pgsql-docs

Okay, here's my revised battle plan for storing the docs in the
(distribution) source tree.

We continue to build the doc tarballs separately from the distribution
making for now. At the point of distribution making we just unpack the
tarballs into the place where the files would normally live had they been
built by hand, that is doc/src/sgml/*.htm. (The man files would go into
the same directory for the same reason.) This hides the details of how
the distribution is actually built because the result just looks natural.

Furthermore, we do not actually have to ship all of user.html, admin.html,
etc. because all those are already contained in postgres.html.

Given that, I would like to install the HTML files into $(docdir)/html
(where docdir = $(prefix)/doc by default) instead of the user/, admin/,
etc. subdirectories that we use now. Note how this naturally extends for
other formats that we might come up with sometime. (Man pages still go
into their usual spot.)

How does that look?