Re: Ammunition

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ammunition
Date: 2003-08-14 01:22:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Christopher Browne wrote:
>
> > pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian) writes:
> > > To me, the big MySQL issue is that it isn't an open source
> > > development project, just a company that distributes code via open
> > > source. They will never be able to keep up with us.
> >
> > I found the quote from Scott McNealy most ironic:
> >
> > http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,78443,00.html
> >
> > "If you want to save...money, make the default database MySQL. It's
> > free, it's bundled [with Sun's Solaris software], you've got the whole
> > open-source community working on making it better. If Yahoo and Google
> > can run their entire operations on MySQL, then certainly there's a
> > huge chunk of your operations that could run on it as well."
>
> I had a chat with some of the Google guys when I went to LinuxWorld in New
> York 2 years back ... unless something has changed dramatically, Google
> has their own backend engine, and it isn't/wasn't MySQL ... and has Yahoo
> been using Google for awhile now?

Google may use it else where, but the Google search is not powered by it,
as far as I can tell from discussions with Google guys at conferences this
year. Yahoo use it extensively for content for Web sites, etc. But they
also used Oracle extensively, last I knew. The search itself is outsourced
to another company (no longer Google) last time I heard.

Thanks,

Gavin