Re: [HACKERS] Proposed GUC Variable

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Proposed GUC Variable
Date: 2002-08-31 16:28:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> > That's a pretty good idea. Now, what format will the argument take: text
> > (NOTICE, ERROR, DEBUG, etc) or integer? The increasing severity is clear
> > with numbers but the correlation to NOTICE, ERROR etc is undocumented
> > IIRC. On the other hand, the textual form is clear but INFO < NOTICE <
> > WARNING < ERROR < FATAL, etc, is note necessarily obvious.
>
> The variable should take the same values as SERVER_MIN_MESSAGES and
> impose the same priority order as it does. I would assume you could
> share code, or at worst copy-and-paste a few dozen lines.

A patch implementing this is attached. Instead of copy-and-pasting the
code, I abstracted out of the lookup and converted the existing functions
to use it.

I was careful in elog() to ignore elog(LOG) calls when
log_min_error_query >= LOG.

Gavin

Attachment Content-Type Size
guc2.diff.gz application/x-gzip 2.8 KB