Re: Rep:Re: Error Writing/Reading Encrypted Values

From: Cedar Cox <cedarc(at)visionforisrael(dot)com>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rep:Re: Error Writing/Reading Encrypted Values
Date: 2002-01-16 12:12:08
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> Cedar Cox wrote:

> > > Yes. Do people want a new option ?
> >
> > Personally, I don't think I would need it, but it sounds useful (and
> > needed) if there's no other place to store "strange" data. There's also
> > the question of defaults. For Windows it should be the current behavior.
> > For Unix, perhaps the default should be no conversion? (I don't know if
> > it's difficult to set something different for another platform.. perhaps
> > ignore me..?).
>
> It's not difficult to change the behavior between Windows
> and the others. It doesn't seem that difficult to add an
> option to enable/disable <LF> <-> <CR><LF> conversion either.
> The problem is that we have already too many options.
> The more we have options the longer the connection string
> would be. We are already using abbrebiated connection
> strings in psqlodbc driver and don't have many bytes
> to spare for connection strings.
> Well is the option worth adding ?

Ok. I understand the dilemma. In that case, perhaps it would make sense
for it to be a compile time option, with defaults as I mentioned. It
seems most likely to be platform dependent, and probably set only once
anyway. This way the windows driver at least wouldn't change at all
...back to the list. Comments anyone?

-Cedar