Re: [Fwd: RE: config.sub and config.guess for PostgreSQL compilation on Linux S/390]

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, "Ferguson, Neale" <NEALE(dot)FERGUSON(at)ca(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: RE: config.sub and config.guess for PostgreSQL compilation on Linux S/390]
Date: 2000-06-27 18:07:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen writes:

> I'm in the process of forward fitting the patches to 7.0.2. They are
> trivial so I don't anticipate problems there.

How is this S/390 setup supported by GNU libtool? I'm sure it is since
many other packages use libtool, but I'm wondering whether special patches
would be required. We're planning on moving to that sometime.

> One file missing from the patches I referred you to was the linux_s390
> template which I've reconstructed to look like:

AROPT:crs
CFLAGS:-O0
SHARED_LIB:-fpic
ALL:
SRCH_INC:
SRCH_LIB:
- USE_LOCALE:no
DLSUFFIX:.so
- YFLAGS:-d
- YACC:bison -y

> I've chosen -O0 as the level of compiler I'm using has a couple of bugs.

Note that PostgreSQL also had a couple of bugs that violated standard C,
which are now mostly fixed. Perhaps that affects you. In any case you
perhaps want to look at the 7.1 development branch.

> The latest one doesn't but I've yet to upgrade to it. I use
> ./configure --with-template=linux_s390 --with-odbc --with-perl One
> question, how do I get it to automatically pick up linux_s390?

The path of least resistance is to name the template file after the
config.guess output. (I assume that you'll provide those guys with patches
as well.) Otherwise there's a file src/templates/.similar that matches
canonical host names to template files. (Yeah, we really shouldn't have
hidden files like that.)

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala