Re: find the number of rows for each table

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Patrick Coulombe <pcoulombe(at)mediacces(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: find the number of rows for each table
Date: 2000-06-18 14:16:26
Lists: pgsql-sql

Patrick Coulombe writes:

> I want to find the number of rows for each table (2) in 1 query,
> the query is:

To find the number of rows in one table you do

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM table;

To find the number of rows in two tables you send two queries like
that. There's no good way to do it in one shot, nor is there any reason
why there should: if you want two different pieces of information you send
two queries. Also note that some of your attempts are going to be wildly
slower than just two straightforward count(*) queries.

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala