Re: TOAST (was: BLOB)

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TOAST (was: BLOB)
Date: 2000-04-23 13:48:26
Lists: pgsql-sql

Jan Wieck writes:

> Really? I remember that someday it was "if I'm waiting 60
> seconds for my lock, ...". What a change.
>
> What's the exact location of that parameter to change?

include/config.h:#define DEADLOCK_CHECK_TIMER 1

This only has second resolution. I changed it to milliseconds for my
configuration clean-up (details coming soon), but I'm not sure if that's
worth a lot.

The logic behind this is in backend/storage/lmgr/proc.c.

> Only that there
> are hundreds of functions in utils/adt and contrib that need
> to be looked at.

What datatypes besides text'ish and binary data'ish do you want to toast?
SQL(3) only defines CLOB and BLOB, so they might be thinking along my
lines. I mean surely having toastable polygons and numerics has some
theoretical value but is it worth bothering?

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala