Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha

From: Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PORTS] RedHat6.0 & Alpha
Date: 1999-07-30 15:21:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yes, this is our impression too. We get lots of head-shaking, but not
> lots of roll-up-their sleves help.

That about sums things up very nicely... Even I am guilty of that
as I often find myself too busy to do anything more than tell someone that
pgsql is broken on alpha (not for much longer though), and yet never set
aside the time to do anything about it. :(

> > (clean) will not compile on Solaris/Sparc, as there is an extra #endif in
> > ./src/backend/port/isinf.c that gcc on Solaris pukes on. :(
>
> Fixed now. That was me. That file was a mess before.

Interesitng that neither Linux/Alpha or Linux/Intel puked on it...

> > Bruce, if you could get me your alignment patches, then I will try and
> > apply the above to 6.5.1, and make a patch that bring 6.5.1 up to alpha
> > ready state. Then we give that patch to debian and RH developers, tell
> > them to only apply it to thier alpha builds, and that we will have a
> > universal source tree for all platforms (including alpha) in a few months.
> > This is simular to what was done (might even still be done) for
> > the Linux kernel itself. To compile a 2.0.x kernel for Linux/Alpha, one
> > got the clean source, a set of alpha patches for the same rev level, and
> > applied them to the clean source to generate an alpha ready kernel source
> > tree.
> > Is this a viable idea, or just another horrible kludge?
>
> Sounds good.

Ok, I have already started hacking up 6.5.1. It will take a little
while to run the regression tests and then I want to run a few pgsql
applications of mine through it as well to pound on it further. If I can't
break it, then I will release a patch soon. :)
Are there any other "alpha hacks" that I missed? TTYL.

| "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." |
| --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV) |
| Ryan Kirkpatrick | Boulder, Colorado | rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu |
| http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/ |