Re: [HACKERS] Re: Call for port testing on fmgr changes -- Results!

From: Ryan Kirkpatrick <pgsql(at)rkirkpat(dot)net>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Call for port testing on fmgr changes -- Results!
Date: 2000-06-25 22:08:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-ports

> > > void
> > > -abstime2tm(AbsoluteTime time, int *tzp, struct tm * tm, char *tzn)
> > > +abstime2tm(AbsoluteTime _time, int *tzp, struct tm * tm, char *tzn)
> > > {
> > > + time_t time = (time_t) _time;
> > > #ifdef USE_POSIX_TIME
> > > struct tm *tx;

Ok, the above patch does indeed solve the problem. And this
appears to be the only place AbsoluteTime needs to be copied to a time_t
variable. I can't find any other casts of AbsoluteTime to time_t, and
with this patch applied all regression tests pass just fine (save for
geometry of course with its standard off by one in nth decimal place
difference).
Additionally, I do not see how this patch could break other
platforms. At worst, it is a minor slow down that might even be optimized
out by some compiliers when they see that sizeof(AbsoluteTime) ==
sizeof(time_t). I will defer to the core developers on how you want to
apply this patch to the source tree (i.e. with #ifdef alpha && linux or as
above). Though probably best to add a bit of a comment beside it so
someone does not remove it later thinking they are "optimizing" the code.
:)
At this point, Linux/Alpha should actually run out of the box! Let
me know when this patch is applied (in what ever form it ends up as) and I
will download a new snapshot and test it.
TTYL.

| "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." |
| --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV) |
| Ryan Kirkpatrick | Boulder, Colorado | http://www.rkirkpat.net/ |