Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...

From: teunis <teunis(at)mauve(dot)computersupportcentre(dot)com>
To: Andrew Martin <martin(at)biochemistry(dot)ucl(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL - the Linux of Databases...
Date: 1998-03-03 23:06:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Andrew Martin wrote:

> Marc wrote...
> > On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Thomas G. Lockhart wrote:

[clipa-clipa]

> > that you can spark
> > up just with a comment like "Linux != Unix"...which, it isn't, its a
> > Unix-like clone...but they can't seem to figure the distinction *rofl*
>
> Agreed... :-) But BSD isn't Unix either - not officially. [Waits for
> Marc to disagree, again...]

Nope - I'm not even sure SCO Open Server is UNIX - and afaik THEY now own
the trademark papers.

Be VERY happy that neither Linux nor BSD is a "real" unix. Those systems
are seriously restrictive and clumsy (I suspect SCO is close - sorry, I've
had to do a lot of tech-service work on SCO systems recently. Not even
Solaris is _THAT_ bad... (close though). Guess I just miss my GNU and BSD
tools too much *grin*)

if you were just to talk about programs, Linux is a superset of
everything (except Irix at this time). If you were to talk about
networking, BSD is the standard that Linux follows. Who wants STREAMS
anyways? If you're talking API interface (and here's where I bate
non-glibc users), GLIBC-2 is the standard for Unix98+. (I still don't see
why postgres doesn't support it... though I haven't gotten around to
writing a patch (or looking recently)...).

> Not to mention the fact that at least one release of Linux did go through
> full Posix certification and is thus allowed to be called Unix :-)

*heh*

Just being a nard...

G'day, eh? :)
- Teunis