Re: [HACKERS] Alpha initdb fixed!

From: Ryan Kirkpatrick <rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu>
To: "Pedro J(dot) Lobo" <pjlobo(at)euitt(dot)upm(dot)es>
Cc: Dwayne Bailey <dwayne(at)mika(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Alpha initdb fixed!
Date: 1998-03-18 02:02:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Pedro J. Lobo wrote:

> I'll try it immediately, but I have a suggestion. On my DU 3.2c system, cc
> defines automatically the symbols "__osf__" and "__alpha", and gcc defines
> "__osf__", "__alpha" and "__alpha__". I think it would be easier to change
> every "#ifdef alpha" to "#ifdef __alpha", and stop worrying about it in
> the Makefiles.
>
> Can any of the linux-alpha folks try out which symbols does the compiler
> define? And someone who has DU 4.0x installed?

Linux/Alpha provides the following useful/relavent symbols:
linux
__alpha
__alpha__
__linux
__linux__

I had gone through the pgsql 6.2.1 source trying to fix/replace
all instances of 'linuxalpha' and such used as defines with '(defined
__alpha__) && (defined __linux__)'. But I hit a few snags in testing (i.e.
lack of time), and by the time I got things about sorted out, 6.3 came out
and changed so much I need to go through again and do it all anew. The
baisc problem it looks like you hit as well, is that non-standard define
names were used, and then never included in the platform specific defines.
This was the reason Linux/Alpha couldn't even get initdb to run (probably
same for you). Of course, the regression tests are still not perfect, and
there is a good deal of cleanup on the Linux/Alpha end of things as well.
It will be a while, but things are moving.

| "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." |
| --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV) |
| Ryan Kirkpatrick | Boulder, Colorado | rkirkpat(at)nag(dot)cs(dot)colorado(dot)edu |
| http://www-ugrad.cs.colorado.edu/~rkirkpat/ |