LIKE, ~ indexing documentation

From: Marc Howard Zuckman <marc(at)fallon(dot)classyad(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: LIKE, ~ indexing documentation
Date: 1998-03-02 20:36:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In a reply to Bruce, I suggested that the create_index man page
might be updated to mention the possible use of indices with
the LIKE, ~, and ~* operators. I thought that the query used
to generated the table in the man page might be automatically
updated and thus done for 6.3, but probably not since the
matched string expression needs to be anchored. Mention
of the possible use of indices in this circumstance might still be
included in create_index man page and possibly in the explain man page.

Probably the best place to put it would be in a tips section of the
user manual. The tips section might include stuff like:
a) running vacuum to optimize query plan
b) when to use char/varchar/text
c) using joins vs subselects

Suggestions are cheap, implementation takes work. I'm very appreciative
of all that you have already done.

Marc Zuckman