Re: pg_standby for 8.2 (with last restart point)

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_standby for 8.2 (with last restart point)
Date: 2008-03-27 22:26:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Gurjeet Singh wrote:

> For PG versions < 8.3 (specifically 8.2) I wanted the %r parameter to be
> substituted by the last restart point, just as the recovery code does in
> > 8.3. I assumed there would be objections to it (else it would have
> already been there in 8.2.x)

The idea to add this feature didn't show up before 8.2 was released, it
came up during the 8.3 development cycle. This project doesn't make
functional changes to stable releases, that's the reason why 8.2 will
never get patched to add the %r feature.

Cute script though. I know people have asked about simulating this
behavior, and I don't recall a good sample solution being presented before
yours.