Re: Anyone using a SAN?

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Anyone using a SAN?
Date: 2008-02-16 06:08:26
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Should this be summarized somewhere in our docs; just a few lines with
> the tradeoffs, direct storage = cheaper, faster, SAN = more configurable?

I think it's kind of stetching the PostgreSQL documentation to be covering
that. It's hard to generalize here without giving a fair amount of
background and caveats--that last message was about as compact a
commentary on this as I could come up with. One of the things I was
hoping to push into the community documentation one day was a larger look
at disk layout than covers this, RAID issues, and related topics (this got
started at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/techdocs.64 but stalled).

What's nice about putting it into a web-only format is that it's easy to
hyperlink heavily into the archives to recommend specific discussion
threads of the issues for reference, which isn't practical in the manual.