Re: pgbench - startup delay

From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgbench - startup delay
Date: 2007-12-11 00:12:07
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Tom Lane wrote:

> I concur with Alvaro that this case seems adequately covered by
> PGOPTIONS="-W n" pgbench ...

I started to disagree with this, but ultimately realized anyone who is
running pgbench for long enough to get useful results shouldn't have their
TPS impacted much at all by a few overhead seconds tacked onto the server
startup.

I once wrote a similar patch to the one Dave submitted here and feel like
it's worth committing at least a documentation patch to show how to deal
with this. It's not obvious that pgbench pays attention to the
environment variables at all, and it's even less obvious that you can pass
what look like server options in there. I just poked around the
documentation a bit and I didn't find anything that cleared up which
options you can pass from a client; in addition to -W, I can imagine
pgbench users might also want to use -S (sort memory) or -f (forbid
scan/join types). If I can get someone to clarify what is supported there
I can put together a pgbench doc patch that addresses this topic.