Re: "_" in a serach pattern

From: Ben Kim <bkim(at)tamu(dot)edu>
To: Peter Koczan <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jessica Richard <rjessil(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "_" in a serach pattern
Date: 2007-07-24 14:20:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

> The only difference is that varchar can have a length limit, text is always
> unlimited length. There's no significant performance difference between
> either. For most intents and purposes, they're equal.

Forgive me for diversion, but out of curiosity, would it make some
difference whether strings of known length are compared or strings of
unknown length are compared, like in join condition "using(address)"?

Or, is the actual length stored in a separate field and read first so
strings of different lengths wouldn't even need to be matched?

Is there some reference on this subject other than the source code?

Thanks.

Ben K.
Developer
http://benix.tamu.edu