Re: PITR recovery

From: "Ben K(dot)" <bkim(at)coe(dot)tamu(dot)edu>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR recovery
Date: 2007-01-08 15:41:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 12:59 -0600, Ben K. wrote:
>> 2. sql dump and PITR
>> Is it possible to use the PITR method with SQL dump? (pg_start_backup ->
>> sql dump -> pg_stop_backup) I guess not, but just want to make sure.
>
> No, because there is no reason or benefit.

Thanks. I guess the PITR plays on a different ground. This is just a
superficial question, but would it be possible to separate sql and disk
operations? Eventually, it would be nice if we can have something like
these as example. (I don't have any experience with this product.)

http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Log_Rescue/

We sometimes have relatively minor but still painful problems (someone or
some scripts causes undesirable changes) and if we can go from the sql
dump (backup) and stop at a certain point, it would be really nice. It'd
also give us more granuality in controlling backup or test servers.

Regards,

Ben K.
Developer
http://benix.tamu.edu