Re: [GENERAL] Creation of tsearch2 index is very

From: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
To: Ron <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Creation of tsearch2 index is very
Date: 2006-01-21 16:33:27
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006, Ron wrote:

> Perhaps a different approach to this problem is called for:
>
> _Managing Gigabytes: Compressing and Indexing Documents and Images_ 2ed
> Witten, Moffat, Bell
> ISBN 1-55860-570-3
>
> This is a VERY good book on the subject.
>
> I'd also suggest looking at the publicly available work on indexing and
> searching for search engines like Inktomi (sp?) and Google.
> Ron

Ron,

you completely miss the problem ! We do know MG and other SE. Actually,
we've implemented several search engines based on inverted index technology
(see, for example, pgsql.ru/db/pgsearch). tsearch2 was designed for
online indexing, while keeping inverted index online is rather difficult
problem. We do have plan to implement inverted index as an option for
large read-only archives, but now we discuss how to organize online
index and if possible to optimize current storage for signatures
without breaking search performance.

> At 08:34 AM 1/21/2006, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

>>> Maybe we are over thinking this. What happens if we do the obvious and
>>> just make a new page and move the "last" n/2 items on the full page to the
>>> new page?
>>>
>>> Various forms of "move the last n/2 items" can be tested here:
>>> 0= just split the table in half. Sometimes KISS works. O(1).
>>> 1= the one's with the highest (or lowest) "x" value.
>>> 2= the one's with the highest sum of coordinates (x+y+...= values in the
>>> top/bottom n/2 of entries).
>>> 3= split the table so that each table has entries whose size_waste values
>>> add up to approximately the same value.
>>> 4= I'm sure there are others.
>>> 1-5 can be done in O(n) time w/o auxiliary data. They can be done in O(1)
>>> if we've kept track of the appropriate metric as we've built the current
>>> page.

>>> I'm not sure what "upper page" and "lower page" mean here?

>>> Ditto. Guys what is the real motivation and purpose for this code?
>>
>> we want not just split the page by two very distinct parts, but to keep
>> resulted signatures which is ORed signature of all signatures in the page
>> as much 'sparse' as can. some information available here
>> http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/oddmuse/index.cgi/Tsearch_V2_internals
>>
>> Unfortunately, we're rather busy right now and couldn't be very useful.

Regards,
Oleg
phone: +007(495)939-16-83, +007(495)939-23-83