installation in windows

From: Yu Y Zhou <yyzhou(at)ic(dot)sunysb(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: installation in windows
Date: 2001-06-06 19:33:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi:
I try to instsall postgresql natively in the windows system. I use
the command nmake /f win32.mak with the microsoft visual C++ in my path
under the src directory. I get the psql.exe and libpq.dll and other
files. However, I am not able to start the database server. When I try the
command psql in the dos mode, I get the error message
"connectDBStart()--socket failed: error=0". Moreover I do not have the
postmaster executable files. Would I get the postmaster excutable files by
executing the nmake /f win32.mak command? I also install postgresql with
Cygwin in another Window NT. I see the postmaster.exe in that machine,
with the cygwin environment. I try to compile the postmaster.c file in
visual C++. However, the C library files such as unistd.h cannot be
found. I'm not able to compile postmaster.c. The visual C++ I used is
microsoft studio 6.0 enterprise edition.
If anybody know anything about my troubles or have any insign, Please
let me know. I'm every appreciate it. Thank you and please give me some
suggestions. It would be a very great help for me.

Yu Ye Zhou