Re: [HACKERS] DROP TABLE inside a transaction block

From: Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE>
To: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] DROP TABLE inside a transaction block
Date: 2000-03-06 10:10:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Philip Warner wrote:

> >I don't see a problem with disallowing some DDL commands in a transaction
> >as long as they throw an error and the transaction aborts.
>
> Is it really necessary to abort the TX? Seems a little antisocial - can't
> you just return an error, and let the user/application decide if it needs
> to abort?

I'm afraid yes, it is necessary. Either the whole transaction or none of
it. Anything else is opening a can of worms that you can't control unless
you have a Ph.D. in fancy databases or something. (Incidentally, I know
that a non-zero amount of people around here have one of those, but that
won't help the rest of us much. :{ )

--
Peter Eisentraut Sernanders väg 10:115
peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net 75262 Uppsala