Re: Batch INSERT failing with error 22P02

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Eric Faulhaber <ecf(at)goldencode(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Batch INSERT failing with error 22P02
Date: 2007-09-17 22:15:58
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Eric Faulhaber wrote:

> I recently upgraded from PG 8.1.8 to 8.2.4. I made a corresponding move in
> JDBC driver versions from postgresql-8.1-408.jdbc3.jar to
> postgresql-8.2-506.jdbc4.jar (binary distributions in both cases). During a
> lengthy import using Hibernate (yes, I realize it's not the most efficient
> mechanism for bulk import), I hit the following error:
>
> SEVERE: ERROR: invalid input syntax for type oid: ""
>
> Caused by: java.sql.BatchUpdateException: Batch entry 0 insert into
> turnaround (turn_number, site, item, purchase_order_number,
> purchase_order_line, lot, serial_number, quantity_issued, expiration_date,
> id) values (0000XBJG, GSO, 0A0001H9L, 427190, 15, , , -14000.00000, NULL,
> 59657893) was aborted. Call getNextException to see the cause.
> SEVERE: An SQLException was provoked by the following failure:
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Can't change resolved type for param: 7
> from 1043 to 26

We've seen this report once before, but weren't able to get to the bottom
of it because it also occurred on a large dataset.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2007-06/threads.php#00041

In his case int4 and int8 were getting mixed up which is a little more
understandable, in your case it's confusing varchar and oid which seems
less likely. Is there any chance you can run this with the URL parameter
loglevel=2, which will produce tons of logging information, or can you
make this test case available to me?

Kris Jurka