shared description table.

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: shared description table.
Date: 2005-12-14 21:58:48
Lists: pgsql-patches

I've created a new shared catalog table pg_shdescription to store comments
on cluster global objects like databases, tablespaces, and roles.

It touches a lot of places, but not much in the way of big changes. The
only design decision I made was to duplicate the query and manipulation
functions rather than to try and have them handle both shared and local
comments. I believe this is simpler for the code and not an issue for
callers because they know what type of object they are dealing with. This
has resulted in a shobj_description function analagous to obj_description
and backend functions [Create/Delete]SharedComments mirroring the existing
[Create/Delete]Comments functions.

pg_shdescription.h goes into src/include/catalog/

Kris Jurka

Attachment Content-Type Size
shared-description.patch text/plain 53.4 KB
pg_shdescription.h text/plain 2.6 KB