Re: Do Stored Procedures exist (Besides FUNCTIONs)

From: "Joshua b(dot) Jore" <josh(at)greentechnologist(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Art Nicewick <art(dot)nicewick(at)ams(dot)com>, Masse Jacques <jacques(dot)masse(at)bordeaux(dot)cemagref(dot)fr>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Do Stored Procedures exist (Besides FUNCTIONs)
Date: 2002-03-04 22:44:58
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > 2. Ability to return multiple values ?
> >
> > Are both of these on the TODO list ?.
>
> Just #2. And, as I said, there is some limited ability to return
> mutliple values now. I just don't know how to use it. Hopefully
> another developer will speak up.

I've used the 'SETOF' token to get my functions to return multiple single
attribute tuples. There is some support for returning multiple attributes
but it didn't work well for me so I don't use it.

For the record:

CREATE TABLE bran(
flake integer,
fiber integer
);
INSERT INTO bran (1,2);
INSERT INTO bran (2,3);
INSERT INTO bran (3,4);

1 x 1
CREATE FUNCTION blah() RETURNS integer AS '
SELECT flake FROM bran;
' LANGUAGE 'sql';

returns a single row

1 x n
CREATE FUNCTION blan() RETURNS SETOF integer AS '
SELECT flake FROM bran;
' LANGUAGE 'sql';

returns all the

n x 1
CREATE FUNCTION blah() RETURNS bran AS '
SELECT * FROM bran;
' LANGUAGE 'sql';

Returns an oid, use the projection syntax to get the individual
attributes:

SELECT flake(blah()), fiber(blah());

n x n
CREATE FRUNCTION blah() RETURNS SETOF bran AS '
SELECT * FROM bran;
' LANGUAGE 'sql';

SELECT flake(blah()), fiber(blah());

Joshua b. Jore