Re: Intersect and order by

From: Michael Fork <mfork(at)toledolink(dot)com>
To: Michaël Fiey <m(dot)fiey(at)futuresoundtech(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Intersect and order by
Date: 2001-02-28 18:55:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Either of these should fix your problem:

SELECT col1 as my_col
FROM table
WHERE <conditions 1>
INTERSECT
SELECT col1 as my_col
FROM table
WHERE <conditions 2>
ORDER BY my_col

- OR -

SELECT col1
FROM table
WHERE <conditions 1>
INTERSECT
SELECT col1
FROM table
WHERE <conditions 2>
ORDER BY 1
^^^
Ordinal value of field to order by

To use UNION/INTERSECT/EXCEPT with ORDER BY, you must order by the ordinal
value of the field or by the aliased field name.

Michael Fork - CCNA - MCP - A+
Network Support - Toledo Internet Access - Toledo Ohio