Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)lan2wan(dot)com>
To: The Web Administrator <wwwadmin(at)wizard(dot)ca>
Cc: aegir(at)rocketmail(dot)com, PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: SGVLLUG Oracle and Informix on Linux]
Date: 1998-07-24 17:54:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998, The Web Administrator wrote:

> The boys at Postgres have so far done a good job of creating an effecient
> Database, let's keep it that way, rather than created a Clone of some
> commercial software that might have years of compatibility issues that
> forced implementation of methods that may not be the most effecient..
> So let's stop comparing Postgres to the rest.. If there is something we
> need to do with our Databases that we can't, then these are the issues we
> should address only..

PostgreSQL is the first real database server I've ever used. I've not
used Oracle or Sybase or anything like that, so the only thing I can
compare it with is desktop database systems like MS-Access, and all I can
say is that there' s no comparison. :-) I don't want PostgreSQL to be
like Access, nor anything else for that matter, but just be what it is.

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
"The Number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
-- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972