Re: Multi Database queries

From: brew(at)theMode(dot)com
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multi Database queries
Date: 2004-09-22 15:00:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

Jonathon Batson wrote:

> I am looking into setting up a multi-database system with Postgres7.3.4.
> In this case all the databases will be on the one server.
> Initial research shows that the contrib/dblink module is needed....
> My question is:
> Is this the only way to query across databases?

Another way is to make separate simultaneous connections in your
application (which you can do using the perl DBI and probably other
languages, too) and split up the query into separate queries for each
database, assembling them in the application.

Doing it this way the databases could be on separate machines.

That's not very convenient if you are doing this many times, but if that's
the case maybe you shouldn't be using separate databases anyway.

brew

Strange Brew (brew(at)theMode(dot)com)
Check out my Musician's Online Database Exchange (The MODE Pages)
http://www.TheMode.com