Re: History question

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: History question
Date: 2001-11-30 14:25:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > While surfing through our web page I found some references about Postgres
> > (the original Berkley project) starting as Ingres. Now I wonder whether we
> > or let's say the original Postgres project still used Ingres or parts
> > thereof.
>
> It doesn't, and never did. Not sure how that impression got started,
> other than some confusion over "based on" vs "successor".
>
> Where exactly did you find this on the web site? We should rephrase
> it...

The history paper (the formatting was messed up with the copy/paste):

The History of PostgreSQL Development

by Bruce Momjian

PostgreSQL is the most advanced open-source database
server. It is Object-Relational(ORDBMS), and
is supported by a team of Internet developers. PostgreSQL
began as Ingres, developed at the University of
California at Berkeley(1977-1985). The Ingres code was
taken and enhanced by Relational
Technologies/Ingres Corporation, which produced one of the
first commercially successful relational
database servers. (Ingres Corp. was later purchased by
Computer Associates.) Also at Berkeley, Michael
Stonebraker led a team to develop an object-relational
database server called Postgres(1986-1994). The
Postgres code was taken by Illustra and developed into a
commercial product. (Illustra was later purchased
by Informix and integrated into Informix's Universal
Server.) Two Berkeley graduate students, Jolly Chen
and Andrew Yu, added SQL capabilities to Postgres, and
called it Postgres95(1994-1995). They left
Berkeley, but Jolly continued maintaining Postgres95,
which had an active mailing list.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com