Re: ODBC Maintainer?

From: Max Khon <fjoe(at)iclub(dot)nsu(dot)ru>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Kevin Lo <kevin(dot)lo(at)toptk(dot)com>, Robert Smith <rsmith(at)crepsunited(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC Maintainer?
Date: 2000-11-17 07:35:53
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

hi, there!

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> > I'll be a volunteer to implement odbc driver. Just wondering why don't
> > import unixODBC code into Postgres src?
>
> That is possible, I suppose.
>
> My (admittedly vague) recollection is that the unixODBC folks took the
> psqlODBC code from our tree and modified it. They may have contributed
> back some patches, but afaik they forked the code and had no interest in
> keeping the code base consistant :(

most of their changes are bugfixes and changes related to '//' comments
used in PostgreSQL ODBC code. My impression is that Nick Gorham
<nick(at)easysoft(dot)com> (unixODBC maintainer) is interested in merging ODBC
drivers and on their webpage it is stated that changes are submitted back
to PostgreSQL developers. The only issue might be license (unixODBC is
LGPL).

OTOH I do not understand why ODBC driver is not using libpq.
There were a couple of problems with ODBC driver backend protocol
implementation (e.g. not reporting referential integrity
errors)

> If the unixODBC code is a superset of what we have (or could be made so)
> then perhaps it would be a better choice to work from. But we should
> make sure that our last year's improvements don't get lost.

/fjoe