Re: Vacuum now uses AccessShareLock for analyze

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vacuum now uses AccessShareLock for analyze
Date: 2000-05-29 16:12:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 29 May 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I have changed vacuum so analyze now uses AccessShareLock. (Is this the
> proper lock for analyze?)
>
> The code will now vacuum all requested relations. It will then analyze
> each relation. This way, all the exclusive vacuum work is done first,
> then analyze can continue with shared locks.

hrmmm, here's a thought ... why not vacuum->analyze each relation in
order? the 'exclusive lock' will prevent anyone from reading, so do a
relation, release the lock to analyze that relation and let ppl access the
database ... then do the next ... instead of doing an exclusive lock for
the duration of the whole database ...