Re: copy from

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Adam Lang <aalang(at)rutgersinsurance(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: copy from
Date: 2000-08-15 19:11:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, Adam Lang wrote:

> Gotcha. Now, if I do an insert and just don't specify that field at all, it
> will, use the default value, correct? As long as I don't "touch" the field
> with anything it uses the default.

Right, as long as you don't specify the field in the column list.

There's a special case I should mention. If you want to insert only
default values into all columns, the correct way is:
"insert into table default values" -- It usually doesn't come up,
but could if you had a table that was only a sequence value;