Re: [HACKERS] NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS

From: "Matthew N(dot) Dodd" <winter(at)jurai(dot)net>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Ken McGlothlen <mcglk(at)serv(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS
Date: 1998-06-04 17:06:55
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> You haven't been around very long, have you? Ask Thomas, one of
> the core developers and a Linux user, what Linux' history has been like as
> far as PostgreSQL :)
>
> Anyone that has been here long enough knows how I feel about
> Linux, and they know that I enjoy Baiting as much as possible, cause,
> quite frankly...you guys are *sooooo* easy to bait :)

Plonk. I was here before you were.

Read the old mailing list archives. :)

Newcomers might not understand you was well as everyone here does.

We'd really hate to end up like QMail and have an essentially good product
but a bad rep because everyone thinks one of the authors is 'an asshole'.

> Geez, I wasn't even considering philosophical issues...I was
> considering the issues of portability issues as far as PostgreSQL was/is
> concerned...
>
> ...look at the mailing list archives...its been a nightmare,
> specially with the new glibc "standard" that is only standard on Linux :(

As I said; Linux will reap what they sow.

As long as we are not forced to change important things in order to
'support' Linux we're ok.

The Linux users/developers associated with this project seem more than
willing to do the work of making PostgreSQL work with Linux.

The Linux community seems more than willing to play upgrade of the week in
order to maintain a stable operating platform.

If this is the system that work for them then more power to them.

You and I and others who enjoy sleeping at night and not having to worry
about mucking about with glibc (and other horrors) can use Solaris or
FreeBSD or BSDI or whatever.

> > Besides, everyone knows that Satanix is the one true OS. :)
>
> Err? What's Satanix and where can I get a copy? :)

Its nearly free but the NDA is a complete bitch.

/*
Matthew N. Dodd | A memory retaining a love you had for life
winter(at)jurai(dot)net | As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
*/