Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections
Date: 1998-06-03 21:46:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > I would love a way to keep track of the connections/attempted
> > connections to the postmaster. I'm thinking that when the postmaster
> > accept()s a connection, it can just insert a record into a table
> > (system catalog or not) with the information, which can be updated
> > after the authentication succeeds/fails or whatnot.
> >
> > something like 'smbstatus' for the samba system.
> >
> > So, my question is: how should I go about doing this? should I look
> > into SPI, which I know nothing about? or, what.. I don't think the
> > catalog cache stuff needs to be changed, it isn't as if this info
> > needs to be immediately accessible.
>
> Good question. Postmaster does not have access to the system tables, so
> it can't access them. You could add a debug option to show it in the
> server logs, or add it to the -d2 debug option that already shows SQL
> statements.

Here's one for you...and don't laugh at me, eh? :)

postmaster starts up to listen for connections, and then starts up its own
backend to handle database queries? So, on a quiet system, you would have
two processes running, one postmaster, and one postgres...

basically, the idea is that postmaster can't talk to a table, only
postgres can...so, setup postmaster the same way that any other interface
is setup...connect to a backend and pass its transactions through that
way...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org