More fun installing 7 from source

From: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: More fun installing 7 from source
Date: 2000-08-23 00:29:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

Maybe I'm just being dense, but it seems some steps
are missing in the Install documentation. I can compile
things fine (as the user postgres) with make all after
inserting an unconditional #include <stdarg.h> on my
Solaris 2.5.1 box. Well, almost fine. Typically
one can run a make test aftter a make, but it appears
that make test cannot be run until after make install.
So fine, I do an install (prefix is defined to be
/export/home3/postgres), as the user postgres. Everything
except the perl modules will install. I have to rerun
make install as root to get the perl modules into
/usr/local with the rest of the perl stuff. This business
about most of the postgres stuff sitting in a directory
tree owned by postgres, but perl owned by root,
also keeps make runcheck (I think this is the parallel
check) from running. I guess I'll have to manually do
something different tomorrow. I suppose I could ask
the powers that be for more diskspace, which would get
around a bunch of these problems.

Gord

Matter Realisations http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101 9504 182 St. NW Edmonton, AB, CA T5T 3A7
780/481-8019 ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca