RE: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply

From: "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply
Date: 2022-04-29 05:22:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 10:07 AM Hou, Zhijie/侯 志杰 <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> I addressed the rest of Peter's comments and here is a new version patch.

Thanks for your patch.

The patch modified streaming option in logical replication, it can be set to
'on', 'off' and 'apply'. The new option 'apply' haven't been tested in the tap test.
Attach a patch which modified the subscription tap test to cover both 'on' and
'apply' option. (The main patch is also attached to make cfbot happy.)

Besides, I noticed that for two-phase commit transactions, if the transaction is
prepared by a background worker, the background worker would be asked to handle
the message about commit/rollback this transaction. Is it possible that the
messages about commit/rollback prepared transaction are handled by apply worker
directly?

Regards,
Shi yu

Attachment Content-Type Size
v5-0002-Test-streaming-apply-option-in-tap-test.patch application/octet-stream 61.9 KB
v5-0001-Perform-streaming-logical-transactions-by-background.patch application/octet-stream 81.8 KB