RE: Slow catchup of 2PC (twophase) transactions on replica in LR

From: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, 'Давыдов Виталий' <v(dot)davydov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Slow catchup of 2PC (twophase) transactions on replica in LR
Date: 2024-04-22 12:54:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Dear Vitaly,
>
> > I looked at the patch and realized that I can't try it easily in the near future
> > because the solution I'm working on is based on PG16 or earlier. This patch is
> > not easily applicable to the older releases. I have to port my solution to the
> > master, which is not done yet.
>
> We also tried to port our patch for PG16, but the largest barrier was that a
> replication command ALTER_SLOT is not supported. Since the slot option
> two_phase
> can't be modified, it is difficult to skip decoding PREPARE command even when
> altering the option from true to false.
> IIUC, Adding a new feature (e.g., replication command) for minor updates is
> generally
> prohibited
>
> We must consider another approach for backpatching, but we do not have
> solutions
> for now.

Attached patch set is a ported version for PG16, which breaks ABI. This can be used
for testing purpose, but it won't be pushed to REL_16_STABLE.
At least, this patchset can pass my github CI.

Can you apply and check whether your issue is solved?

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED
https://www.fujitsu.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
REL_16_0001-Allow-altering-of-two_phase-option-of-a-SUBSCRIPTION.patch application/octet-stream 25.8 KB
REL_16_0002-Alter-slot-option-two_phase-only-when-altering-true-.patch application/octet-stream 4.0 KB
REL_16_0003-Abort-prepared-transactions-while-altering-two_phase.patch application/octet-stream 5.4 KB
REL_16_0004-Add-force_alter-option.patch application/octet-stream 7.4 KB