RE: Column Filtering in Logical Replication

From: "wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Rahila Syed <rahilasyed90(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: RE: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Date: 2022-03-11 07:05:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 9:57 AM Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

Hi Tomas,
Thanks for your patches.

On Mon, Mar 9, 2022 at 9:53 PM Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 6:04 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >>>

> >> Maybe, but I really don't think this is an issue.
> >>

> > I am not sure but it might matter for small tables. Leaving aside the
> > performance issue, I think the current way will get the wrong column
> > list in many cases: (a) The ALL TABLES IN SCHEMA case handling won't
> > work for partitioned tables when the partitioned table is part of one
> > schema and partition table is part of another schema. (b) The handling
> > of partition tables in other cases will fetch incorrect lists as it
> > tries to fetch the column list of all the partitions in the hierarchy.
> >
> > One of my colleagues has even tested these cases both for column
> > filters and row filters and we find the behavior of row filter is okay
> > whereas for column filter it uses the wrong column list. We will share
> > the tests and results with you in a later email. We are trying to
> > unify the column filter queries with row filter to make their behavior
> > the same and will share the findings once it is done. I hope if we are
> > able to achieve this that we will reduce the chances of bugs in this
> > area.
> >

> OK, I'll take a look at that email.
I tried to get both the column filters and the row filters with one SQL, but
it failed because I think the result is not easy to parse.

I noted that we use two SQLs to get column filters in the latest
patches(20220311). I think maybe we could use one SQL to get column filters to
reduce network cost. Like the SQL in the attachment.

Regards,
Wang wei

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Try-to-get-column-filters-with-one-SQL.patch application/octet-stream 4.5 KB