RE: Logical replication timeout problem

From: "wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabrice Chapuis <fabrice636861(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: RE: Logical replication timeout problem
Date: 2022-04-18 06:16:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 00:35 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 1:01 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 5:50 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:

> > > Thank you for updating the patch.
> > >
> > > The current patch looks much better than v10 which requires to call
> > > update_progress() every path.
> > >
> > > Regarding v15 patch, I'm concerned a bit that the new function name,
> > > update_progress(), is too generic. How about
> > > update_replation_progress() or something more specific name?
> > >

> > Do you intend to say update_replication_progress()? The word
> > 'replation' doesn't make sense to me. I am fine with this suggestion.
>
> Yeah, that was a typo. I meant update_replication_progress().
Thanks for your comments.

> > > Regarding v15 patch, I'm concerned a bit that the new function name,
> > > update_progress(), is too generic. How about
> > > update_replation_progress() or something more specific name?
Improve as suggested. Change the name from update_progress to
update_replication_progress.

> > > ---
> > > + if (end_xact)
> > > + {
> > > + /* Update progress tracking at xact end. */
> > > + OutputPluginUpdateProgress(ctx, skipped_xact, end_xact);
> > > + changes_count = 0;
> > > + return;
> > > + }
> > > +
> > > + /*
> > > + * After continuously processing CHANGES_THRESHOLD changes,
> > > we try to send
> > > + * a keepalive message if required.
> > > + *
> > > + * We don't want to try sending a keepalive message after
> > > processing each
> > > + * change as that can have overhead. Testing reveals that there is no
> > > + * noticeable overhead in doing it after continuously
> > > processing 100 or so
> > > + * changes.
> > > + */
> > > +#define CHANGES_THRESHOLD 100
> > > + if (++changes_count >= CHANGES_THRESHOLD)
> > > + {
> > > + OutputPluginUpdateProgress(ctx, skipped_xact, end_xact);
> > > + changes_count = 0;
> > > + }
> > >
> > > Can we merge two if branches since we do the same things? Or did you
> > > separate them for better readability?
Improve as suggested. Merge two if-branches.

Attach the new patch.
1. Rename the new function(update_progress) to update_replication_progress. [suggestion by Sawada-San]
2. Merge two if-branches in new function update_replication_progress. [suggestion by Sawada-San.]
3. Improve comments to make them clear. [suggestions by Euler-San.]

Regards,
Wang wei

Attachment Content-Type Size
v16-0001-Fix-the-logical-replication-timeout-during-large.patch application/octet-stream 11.0 KB