RE: Logical replication timeout problem

From: "wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabrice Chapuis <fabrice636861(at)gmail(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: RE: Logical replication timeout problem
Date: 2022-04-06 12:59:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 1:59 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 4:32 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

Thanks for your comments.

> typedef void (*LogicalOutputPluginWriterUpdateProgress) (struct
> LogicalDecodingContext *lr,
> XLogRecPtr Ptr,
> TransactionId xid,
> - bool skipped_xact
> + bool skipped_xact,
> + bool last_write
>
> In this approach, I don't think we need an additional parameter last_write. Let's
> do the work related to keepalive without a parameter, do you see any problem
> with that?
I agree with you. Modify this point.

> I think this patch doesn't take into account that we call
> OutputPluginUpdateProgress() from APIs like pgoutput_commit_txn(). I
> think we should always call the new function update_progress from
> those existing call sites and arrange the function such that when
> called from xact end APIs like pgoutput_commit_txn(), it always call
> OutputPluginUpdateProgress and make changes_count as 0.
Improve it.
Add two new input to function update_progress.(skipped_xact and end_xact).
Modify the function invoke from OutputPluginUpdateProgress to update_progress.

> Also, let's try to evaluate how it impacts lag functionality for large transactions?
I think this patch will not affect lag functionality. It will updates the lag
field of view pg_stat_replication more frequently.
IIUC, when invoking function WalSndUpdateProgress, it will store the lsn of
change and invoking time in lag_tracker. Then when invoking function
ProcessStandbyReplyMessage, it will calculate the lag field according to the
message from subscriber and the information in lag_tracker. This patch does
not modify this logic, but only increases the frequency of invoking.
Please let me know if I understand wrong.

Attach the new patch.
1. Remove the new function input parameters in this patch(parameter last_write
of WalSndUpdateProgress). [suggestion by Amit-San]
2. Also invoke function update_progress in other xact end APIs like
pgoutput_commit_txn. [suggestion by Amit-San]

Regards,
Wang wei

Attachment Content-Type Size
v12-0001-Fix-the-logical-replication-timeout-during-large.patch application/octet-stream 7.3 KB