RE: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply

From: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply
Date: 2023-01-05 03:37:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday, January 4, 2023 9:29 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 6:40 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 4:52 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > >
> > > 2.
> > > + * Since the database structure (schema of subscription tables,
> > > + constraints,
> > > + * etc.) of the publisher and subscriber could be different,
> > > + applying
> > > + * transactions in parallel mode on the subscriber side can cause
> > > + some
> > > + * deadlocks that do not occur on the publisher side.
> > >
> > > I think this paragraph needs to be rephrased a bit. It is saying
> > > that some deadlock can occur on subscribers which did not occur on
> > > the publisher. I think what it should be conveying is that the
> > > deadlock can occur due to concurrently applying the
> > > conflicting/dependent transactions which are not
> > > conflicting/dependent on the publisher due to <explain reason>.
> > > Because if we create the same schema on the publisher it might not
> > > have ended up in a deadlock instead it would have been executed in
> > > sequence (due to lock waiting). So the main point we are conveying
> > > is that the transaction which was independent of each other on the
> > > publisher could be dependent on the subscriber and they can end up in
> deadlock due to parallel apply.
> > >

> > How about changing it to: "We have a risk of deadlock due to
> > parallelly applying the transactions that were independent on the
> > publisher side but became dependent on the subscriber side due to the
> > different database structures (like schema of subscription tables,
> > constraints, etc.) on each side.
>
> I think this looks good to me.

Thanks for the comments.
Attach the new version patch set which changed the comments as suggested.

Best regards,
Hou zj

Attachment Content-Type Size
v74-0005-Add-a-main_worker_pid-to-pg_stat_subscription.patch application/octet-stream 9.5 KB
v74-0001-Perform-apply-of-large-transactions-by-parallel-.patch application/octet-stream 264.6 KB
v74-0002-Add-GUC-stream_serialize_threshold-and-test-seri.patch application/octet-stream 12.4 KB
v74-0003-Stop-extra-worker-if-GUC-was-changed.patch application/octet-stream 4.1 KB
v74-0004-Retry-to-apply-streaming-xact-only-in-apply-work.patch application/octet-stream 21.1 KB