RE: parallel vacuum comments

From: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: RE: parallel vacuum comments
Date: 2021-11-16 02:38:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thur, Nov 11, 2021 10:41 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I've attached a draft patch that refactors parallel vacuum and separates
> parallel-vacuum-related code to new file vacuumparallel.c.
> After discussion, I'll divide the patch into logical chunks.

Hi.

I noticed few minor issues in the patch.

1)
+ /*
+ * Parallel unsafe indexes can be processed only by leader (these are
+ * processed in lazy_serial_process_indexes() by leader.
+ */

It seems the function name in the comments should be serial_vacuum_unsafe_indexes

2)
+ stats->parallel_workers_can_process =
+ index_parallel_vacuum_is_safe(pvc->indrels[i],
+ pvc->num_index_scans,
+ bulkdel);

The function index_parallel_vacuum_is_safe also return false for the
index < min_parallel_index_scan_size cutoff which seems parallel safe. So,
maybe we can rename the function to xxx_worker_can_process() ?

Best regards,
Hou zj