RE: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby

From: "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nisha Moond <nisha(dot)moond412(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Date: 2024-02-29 01:34:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Monday, February 26, 2024 7:52 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 7:49 AM Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu) <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Attach the V98 patch set which addressed above comments.
> >

> Few comments:
> =============
> 1.
> WalSndWaitForWal(XLogRecPtr loc)
> {
> int wakeEvents;
> + bool wait_for_standby = false;
> + uint32 wait_event;
> + List *standby_slots = NIL;
> static XLogRecPtr RecentFlushPtr = InvalidXLogRecPtr;
>
> + if (MyReplicationSlot->data.failover && replication_active)
> + standby_slots = GetStandbySlotList(true);
> +
> /*
> - * Fast path to avoid acquiring the spinlock in case we already know we
> - * have enough WAL available. This is particularly interesting if we're
> - * far behind.
> + * Check if all the standby servers have confirmed receipt of WAL up to
> + * RecentFlushPtr even when we already know we have enough WAL available.
> + *
> + * Note that we cannot directly return without checking the status of
> + * standby servers because the standby_slot_names may have changed,
> + which
> + * means there could be new standby slots in the list that have not yet
> + * caught up to the RecentFlushPtr.
> */
> - if (RecentFlushPtr != InvalidXLogRecPtr &&
> - loc <= RecentFlushPtr)
> - return RecentFlushPtr;
> + if (!XLogRecPtrIsInvalid(RecentFlushPtr) && loc <= RecentFlushPtr) {
> + FilterStandbySlots(RecentFlushPtr, &standby_slots);
>
> I think even if the slot list is not changed, we will always process each slot
> mentioned in standby_slot_names once. Can't we cache the previous list of
> slots for we have already waited for? In that case, we won't even need to copy
> the list via GetStandbySlotList() unless we need to wait.
>
> 2.
> WalSndWaitForWal(XLogRecPtr loc)
> {
> + /*
> + * Update the standby slots that have not yet caught up to the flushed
> + * position. It is good to wait up to RecentFlushPtr and then let it
> + * send the changes to logical subscribers one by one which are
> + * already covered in RecentFlushPtr without needing to wait on every
> + * change for standby confirmation.
> + */
> + if (wait_for_standby)
> + FilterStandbySlots(RecentFlushPtr, &standby_slots);
> +
> /* Update our idea of the currently flushed position. */
> - if (!RecoveryInProgress())
> + else if (!RecoveryInProgress())
> RecentFlushPtr = GetFlushRecPtr(NULL);
> else
> RecentFlushPtr = GetXLogReplayRecPtr(NULL); ...
> /*
> [...]

Here is the v101 patch set which addressed above comments.

This version will cache the oldest standby slot's LSN each time we waited for
them to catch up. The cached LSN is invalidated when we reload the GUC config.
In the WalSndWaitForWal function, instead of traversing the entire standby list
each time, we can check the cached LSN to quickly determine if the standbys
have caught up. When a shutdown signal is received, we continue to wait for the
standby slots to catch up. When waiting for the standbys to catch up after
receiving the shutdown signal, an ERROR is reported if any slots are dropped,
invalidated, or inactive. This measure is taken to prevent the walsender from
waiting indefinitely.

Best Regards,
Hou zj

Attachment Content-Type Size
v101-0002-Document-the-steps-to-check-if-the-standby-is-r.patch application/octet-stream 7.0 KB
v101-0001-Allow-logical-walsenders-to-wait-for-the-physic.patch application/octet-stream 39.8 KB