RE: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby

From: "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nisha Moond <nisha(dot)moond412(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Date: 2024-04-01 06:05:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Monday, April 1, 2024 8:56 AM Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu) <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> On Friday, March 29, 2024 2:50 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 6:36 AM Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)
> > <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
> > wrote:
> > >

> > > Attach a new version patch which fixed an un-initialized variable
> > > issue and added some comments.
> > >

> > The other approach to fix this issue could be that the slotsync worker
> > get the serialized snapshot using pg_read_binary_file() corresponding
> > to restart_lsn and writes those at standby. But there are cases when
> > we won't have such a file like (a) when we initially create the slot
> > and reach the consistent_point, or (b) also by the time the slotsync
> > worker starts to read the remote snapshot file, the snapshot file
> > could have been removed by the checkpointer on the primary (if the
> > restart_lsn of the remote has been advanced in this window). So, in
> > such cases, we anyway need to advance the slot. I think these could be
> optimizations that we could do in the future.
> >
> > Few comments:
>
> Thanks for the comments.
>
> > =============
> > 1.
> > - if (slot->data.database != MyDatabaseId)
> > + if (slot->data.database != MyDatabaseId && !fast_forward)
> > ereport(ERROR,
> > (errcode(ERRCODE_OBJECT_NOT_IN_PREREQUISITE_STATE),
> > errmsg("replication slot \"%s\" was not created in this database",
> > @@ -526,7
> > +527,7 @@ CreateDecodingContext(XLogRecPtr start_lsn,
> > * Do not allow consumption of a "synchronized" slot until the standby
> > * gets promoted.
> > */
> > - if (RecoveryInProgress() && slot->data.synced)
> > + if (RecoveryInProgress() && slot->data.synced &&
> > + !IsSyncingReplicationSlots())
> >

> > Add comments at both of the above places.
>
> Added.
>

> > 2.
> > +extern XLogRecPtr pg_logical_replication_slot_advance(XLogRecPtr
> moveto,
> > + bool *found_consistent_point);
> > +
> >
> > This API looks a bit awkward as the functionality doesn't match the
> > name. How about having a function with name
> > LogicalSlotAdvanceAndCheckReadynessForDecoding(moveto,
> > ready_for_decoding) with the same functionality as your patch has for
> > pg_logical_replication_slot_advance() and then invoke it both from
> > pg_logical_replication_slot_advance and slotsync.c. The function name
> > is too big, we can think of a shorter name. Any ideas?
>
> How about LogicalSlotAdvanceAndCheckDecodingState() Or just
> LogicalSlotAdvanceAndCheckDecoding()? (I used the suggested
> LogicalSlotAdvanceAndCheckReadynessForDecoding in this version, It can be
> renamed in next version if we agree).
>
> Attach the V3 patch which addressed above comments and Kuroda-san's
> comments[1]. I also adjusted the tap-test to only check the confirmed_flush_lsn
> [...]

Attach the V4 patch which includes the optimization to skip the decoding if
the snapshot at the syncing restart_lsn is already serialized. It can avoid most
of the duplicate decoding in my test, and I am doing some more tests locally.

Best Regards,
Hou zj

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-advance-the-restart_lsn-of-synced-slots-using-log.patch application/octet-stream 22.8 KB