RE: [PoC] pg_upgrade: allow to upgrade publisher node

From: "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, 'Amit Kapila' <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: RE: [PoC] pg_upgrade: allow to upgrade publisher node
Date: 2023-09-18 11:16:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Friday, September 15, 2023 9:02 PM Kuroda, Hayato/黒田 隼人 <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:

> Sorry, wrong patch attached. PSA the correct ones.
> There is a possibility that XLOG_PARAMETER_CHANGE may be generated,
> when GUC parameters are changed just before doing the upgrade. Added to
> list.

I did some simple performance tests for the patch just to make sure it doesn't
introduce obvious overhead, the result looks good to me. I tested two cases:

1) The time for upgrade when the old db has 0, 10,50, 100 slots
0 slots(HEAD) : 0m5.585s
0 slots : 0m5.591s
10 slots : 0m5.602s
50 slots : 0m5.636s
100 slots : 0m5.778s

2) The time for upgrade after doing "upgrade --check" in advance, when
the old db has 0, 10,50, 100 slots.

0 slots(HEAD) : 0m5.588s
0 slots : 0m5.596s
10 slots : 0m5.605s
50 slots : 0m5.737s
100 slots : 0m5.783s

The data of the local machine I used is:
CPU(s): 40
Model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4210 CPU @ 2.20GHz
Core(s) per socket: 10
Socket(s): 2
memory: 125GB
disk: 6T HDD

The old database is empty except for the slots in both tests.

The test script is also attached for reference(run perf.sh after
adjusting other settings.)

Best Regards,
Hou zj

Attachment Content-Type Size
perf_script.zip application/x-zip-compressed 1.4 KB