Re: Optimizer Selecting Incorrect Index

From: "David Price" <dprice(at)dentfirst(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Optimizer Selecting Incorrect Index
Date: 2004-08-26 11:05:26
Lists: pgsql-performance

Tom, your suspicions were correct - ANALYZE was not being run.

I run vacuumdb via a cron script during off hours. After checking the
scripts on both systems, I found that on the system that was not functioning
correctly that the '-z' (analyze) command line option to vacuumdb was
missing. After correcting it and re-running the script, the poorly
performing SQL query takes only a few seconds as opposed to 15 minutes.

Thank you for your help!
- David