Re: odbc on unix

From: "Carl Shelbourne" <Carl(dot)Shelbourne(at)marconi(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: odbc on unix
Date: 2002-02-19 09:05:22
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Chaps

I'm a little concerned about the indifference towards *nix ODBC. People are
using it. We particularly use the unixODBC version.

It seems to me that the ODBC interface is beginning to splinter, with *nix
looking very much like a third class citizen. Of carse its easy for me to
complain, from my point of very little understanding, but from Hiroshi
Inoue post on 18 Feb:

>> The recent changes were made by me mostly and I have no ODBC environment on *nix. So the changes are mainly for Windows.
Is there no way that commited changes can be checked for impact on both communities, ok its good to see development continuing on the driver, but do
the changes have to be platform specific?

>>If the *nix ODBC driver really has no problem we don't need our own driver.
I'm confused by this. Surely we would want 1 driver that can be compiled on any platform that there is a compliant driver manager for?
There is a community of people who are reliant on a strong ODBC interface on *nix. Should the driver become very windows centric I think it would
weaken the position of PG

I'm obviously opening myself up for a torrent of abuse due to my lack of understanding, my comments are not meant to be aimed at any one person, but
to highlight my general concern on the comments in this thread...

Carl

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. Do not copy this e-mail or any attachments, use the contents for any purpose, or disclose the contents to any other person: to do so could be a breach of confidence.