Re: Problem with VB6, DAO, Data Control: Update does not work

From: Wolfgang(dot)Fuertbauer(at)ebewe(dot)com
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net
Subject: Re: Problem with VB6, DAO, Data Control: Update does not work
Date: 2004-08-16 07:24:57
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> Wolfgang Fürtbauer wrote:
> > I found out, after removing the "rabwert" = '5.225'::float4 from the
> > where-clause,
> > the update worked; so I had a look with the VB-Debugger at the value
> > of data1.recordset!rabwert
> > just before update and: the value was 5.225
> >
> > Why does the update not work ?

> You can't reasonably compare floating point values for equality, because
> they only store approximations of what you see. And you certainly
> shouldn't store monetary values in floating point columns, because you
> are asking for rounding problems. Always use numeric.

OK; I changed to numeric(8,4) for this field; what happens is:
VB does'nt regocnize decimals anymore:

from pgsql:
update auftrag set rabproz = 5.5;

from VB in debug mode:
? data1.recordset!rabproz
5.5
? data.recordset!rabproz > 5
True
? data.recordset!rabproz < 6
False
? data.recordset!rabproz > 50
True
? data.recordset!rabproz < 60
True

and bound controls display the value without decimals ?

What am I doing wrong ?

Wolfgang

> --
> Peter Eisentraut
> http://developer.postgresql.org/~petere/

Wolfgang Fuertbauer (E-Mail: Wolfgang(dot)Fuertbauer(at)ebewe(dot)com)
EBEWE Pharma Tel: ++43 7665 8123 315
Mondseestrasse 11 Fax: ++43 7665 8123 11
4866 Unterach, Austria
http://www.ebewe.com