logging

From: "Devinder K Rajput" <Devinder(dot)Rajput(at)ipaper(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: logging
Date: 2002-09-25 00:33:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all,

I am trying to setup logging. I have updated the postgresql.conf by making
the following changes:

#debug_level = 0 # range 0-16
debug_level = 2 # range 0-16

#debug_print_query = false
debug_print_query = true

# Syslog
#
#ifdef ENABLE_SYSLOG
#syslog = 0 # range 0-2
syslog = 2 # range 0-2

I have also update the postgresql script that we use to start postmaster to
redirect output to a log file rather than /dev/null. I get the following
in the log file:

postmaster successfully started
invoking IpcMemoryCreate(size=1236992)
FindExec: found "/usr/bin/postmaster" using argv[0]
/usr/bin/postmaster: reaping dead processes...
/usr/bin/postmaster: ServerLoop: handling reading 5
/usr/bin/postmaster: ServerLoop: handling reading 5
/usr/bin/postmaster: ServerLoop: handling reading 5
/usr/bin/postmaster: ServerLoop: handling reading 5
/usr/bin/postmaster: ServerLoop: handling writing 5
/usr/bin/postmaster: BackendStartup: pid 30039 user postgres db dioh socket
5
/usr/bin/postmaster child[30039]: starting with (postgres -d2 -v131072 -p
dioh )
FindExec: found "/usr/bin/postgres" using argv[0]
/usr/bin/postmaster: reaping dead processes...
/usr/bin/postmaster: CleanupProc: pid 30039 exited with status 0
/usr/bin/postmaster: ServerLoop: handling reading 5
/usr/bin/postmaster: ServerLoop: handling reading 5
/usr/bin/postmaster: ServerLoop: handling reading 5
/usr/bin/postmaster: ServerLoop: handling reading 5
/usr/bin/postmaster: ServerLoop: handling writing 5
/usr/bin/postmaster: BackendStartup: pid 30054 user postgres db
counterpoint soc
ket 5
/usr/bin/postmaster child[30054]: starting with (postgres -d2 -v131072 -p
counte
rpoint )

I want the log file to show activity that occurs when queries are executed.
But this seems to be only showing output when I open a psql session or log
out of it. Could you please kindly let me know what I am missing. Thank
you.

p.s. The whole reason for turning on logging is that we are processing
sales data from about 100 locations to generate inventory numbers. The
program runs fine for all but 1 store. The problem is that postmaster
keeps on running for about 3 days processing something when it only should
take about 30 mintues. I figured maybe logging will show what postmaster
is doing while it's on its 3 day cruise.

Devinder Rajput
Stores Division Corporate Offices
Chicago, IL
(773) 442-6474